1 2 3

COVID-19 Support: Individuals

To read the most up-to-date information on advice from the government regarding keeping safe and for key information, such as travel advice, please click here.

If you are recently unemployed, there are options available to help you, these include:

Jobseekers Allowance
You can apply for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) while you look for work, and payments are usually made every two weeks. To find out more click here. You may be eligible to claim JSA as well as Universal Credit, please visit the Universal Credit information below for more information.

Universal Credit
Universal Credit is payment to help with your living costs. You may be eligible for this if you’re on a low income or out of work. This is paid monthly. To find out if you qualify and how to claim, please read the government’s step by step guide here.

Looking for work?
For those looking for work, there are a number of recruitment sites and agencies available. We also recommend looking at the Department for Work & Pensions webpage where you will find details of significant demand for delivery drivers, warehouse workers and retail workers. To find out more and to register to look at what is available click here.

National Careers Service
The National Careers Service is open to everyone, whether they are employed, unemployed, been recently made redundant or furloughed. The service helps with everything from finding you work and assessing your skills, to finding training if you are considering moving to a career outside the legal profession.

Turn2us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services – online, by phone and face to face, through partner organisations and our volunteers.

Money Advice Service
The Money Advice Service helps you manage your money better. Use their Health Check tool, calculators and comparison tables to make the most of your finances.

If you are a new applicant or existing beneficiary
The team can be contacted via email and our working hours remain from 9am to 5pm on weekdays. Please email caseworker@sba.org.uk.

Please note: if you are already in receipt of agreed financial assistance, payment will be made in the usual way.


If you are self-employed

The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) was announced to support self-employed individuals whose income has been negatively impacted by COVID-19. The scheme will provide a grant to self-employed individuals or partnerships, worth 80% of their profits, up to a cap of £2,500 per month. To read the latest information, please click here.

HMRC’s Time to Pay Service
This was created for any business or self-employed person in financial distress and with outstanding tax liabilities who may be eligible for support with tax payment. If you are concerned about being able to pay your tax, due to COVID-19, call HMRC’s dedicated Coronavirus helpline on 0800 0159 559.